It’s summertime. The sun is shining, the A/C is running and well… your electricity usage is skyrocketing along with your bill. We’ve compiled a list of some ways to help you cut back so you can enjoy the warm weather with a little less added cost (and who doesn’t need that right now?).
- Give your A/C a tune up. Change filters, clean out vents and maybe even schedule some maintenance from the pros. A more efficient unit will save you a lot of added electricity usage and will perform better, too.
- Bump UP that thermostat. Yes, we’re trying to keep cool here but if you can bump it up one or 2 degrees, you’ll probably start to notice a change in your usage and bill. And you might find that you’re just as comfortable as you acclimate. You don’t really NEED to be wearing a sweatshirt, sweatpants and a blanket around the house, right?! Plus you could add a fan in the warmer rooms, like the kitchen, while you cook.
- Grill outside! Speaking of cooking skip turning on the stove and oven and take advantage of outdoor cooking weather. Hot dogs over the open fire, chicken over charcoal and any old gas grill will give you the taste of summer without breaking the bank.
- Invest in some room darkening shades or blinds. Especially in rooms that get direct sun, try pulling the curtains to block out the intense summer heat that can warm rooms up quickly, causing the A/C to work overtime.
- Unplug devices. Do you need to have all of your unused devices plugged in while you’re not even home? Probably not. If you’re not using a smart power strip, the appliances, video game consoles, chargers and more are using standby electricity that can start to add up daily.
There are many other ways to make small changes that will become big savings over time. Planting shade plants and trees around your home, closing doors and vents to unused rooms and switching to LED light bulbs can help, too.
As you love your new home, save to buy a home or just want some more efficiency in your electricity budget, we hope these tips will help.